So, I think I mentioned I attended a lecture on the ocean on Sunday. Well with the second lecture tomorrow I thought I could share with you a few things I learnt yesterday…
So here it goes….
1. 71% of the world is ocean
2. The biggest mammal in the world is a blue whale. After banning whale hunting in some parts of the world the blue whale has now increased in population from less than 1000 to around 5000. Which is good news. Think it would be on my bucket list to see one!!
3. Average depth of the ocean is 3720 metres
4. Deepest point is the Mariana trench which is 11033 metres deep (sheesh!) and is in the western pacific.
5. 97% of our planets water is contained in the ocean
6. 90% of the worlds trade is carried by ships
7. 80% of pollution in the worlds oceans comes from land based activities.
8. The deepest ocean trench is over one mile deeper than Mount Everest is high.
9. Coral reefs reside in less than 0.5% of the ocean. However 90% of marine species are directly or indirectly dependent on them.
10. The country with the longest coastline is Canada
That is all for now!!